Inactive Membership Status

Oregon State Bar Bylaws - Subsection 6.100 Inactive Membership Status

“Inactive member - A member of the Bar who does not practice law may be enrolled as an inactive member. The ‘practice of law’ for purposes of this subsection consists of providing legal services to public, corporate or individual clients or the performing of the duties of a position that federal, state, county or municipal law requires to be occupied by a person admitted to the practice of law in Oregon. Inactive members include Retired members.”

Members no longer engaging in the practice of law in Oregon can transfer their membership to inactive status by completing and submitting an online application. Members may request a future effective date within 30 days of the application, but the date must be prior to January 31 to receive the reduced fee. The form allows members to report which active member of the Bar will retain their active client files after their transfer. This is for informational purposes as we receive frequent phone calls from clients looking for files.

There is a $150 annual inactive membership fee. Members who have already paid fees for the current year are not required to pay the inactive fee until the following year. Between December 1 and January 31, the inactive fee must be paid to complete your status change. For Active members, transfer requests submitted after January 31, require full active membership fees to be paid before the request is processed.

Inactive members have no MCLE, IOLTA, or PLF obligations. Members should contact the Professional Liability Fund accounting department at 503.924.1771 or to notify the PLF of the transfer and complete any required exemptions forms.

Inactive members will continue to receive the Bar Bulletin and years spent in inactive status count toward the 50 year member recognition event. Inactive members do not receive access to Fastcase or Bar Books. Inactive members may subscribe to Fastcase for a fee by completing and returning the Inactive/Retired Member Fastcase Subscription or contacting the bar’s accounting department at extension 305.

Inactive members are eligible for reinstatement. Please see our Reinstatement FAQs for more information regarding the process and the necessary forms.

Please email if you have additional questions regarding status changes.