New Member FAQ


1. When do I receive my bar number?
Approximately one week after attending the Oregon State Bar Swearing-in Ceremony, or three to four weeks after taking the oath elsewhere.

2. What should I do in the meantime?
Write "new member" in place of your bar number.

Bar Dues/Membership

1. When do I have to pay my bar dues?
All membership fees are on a calendar year basis. After your admission to the bar, you will receive a prorated membership fee statement, based on the month, not the day, you were admitted. Payment is due 60 days from the date admitted to the bar. In December of each year thereafter, you will receive your annual fee statement via email for the next calendar year, which is due the following January 31st.

2. Why am I billed the over 2-year rate instead of the under 2-year rate since I just became a member?
Active under two-year membership is determined by a member's admission to any jurisdiction, not admission to the Oregon State Bar.

Continuing Legal Education and Minimum Continuing Legal Education

1. What is the difference between MCLE and CLE?
CLE Seminars produces seminars and other programs that are eligible for Minimum Continuing Legal Education credit. MCLE is the regulatory department that verifies member compliance with the MCLE requirement. You send your compliance report to the MCLE department.

2. How many credits are required for compliance, and when do I report them?
Your minimum requirement is 15 credits, including 10 practical skills, 2.0 legal ethics and a 3 credit introductory course in access to justice. Thereafter members have a 3-year reporting period to obtain 45 credits, including 5.0 legal ethics and 1.0 child abuse or elder abuse reporting. In alternate 3-year reporting periods, your minimum requirement will also include 3.0 access to justice credits. MCLE regulation 3.300 (d) specifies the reporting periods in which the child or elder abuse reporting credit is required.

3. How do I report MCLE credits?
You can view your report at anytime online via the member login on the dashboard under MCLE..

4. What are practical skills credits?
They are courses designed to instruct new members in the methods and means of the practice of law. See MCLE Regulation 3.400(a) for more information. The MCLE Rules and regulations are on our website at

New Lawyer Mentoring Program

1. Where can I find information about the New Lawyer Mentoring Program?
You can find detailed information about the Program and sign up for it here:

2. Is the Program mandatory?
Yes, the Program is mandatory, but much of the curriculum is not. You may create, with your Mentor, a program that is designed to most assist you.

3. How do I get a Mentor?
You may choose your own Mentor or ask to be assigned one when you sign up for the Program.

4. May I practice law before I complete the Program?
Yes, you may fully engage in the practice of law while you are enrolled in the Program.

5. Are there any exceptions?
Yes, if you've practiced law for at least two years in another jurisdiction, you are exempt.


1. How do I join a section?
The fastest way to join a section is online. Alternatively, you can add the section to your annual membership fee, or send a letter to the bar's accounting department with your name, bar number, section name and three-digit code, and enclose a check for the appropriate section fee. Some sections offer new members complimentary membership for the year admitted to the bar. A special form is included in your pro-rated membership fee mailing, providing you with a listing of those sections offering complimentary membership. Section fees are not refundable if a member later finds they were eligible for complimentary membership.

2. When do I pay my Professional Liability Fund fees?
PLF coverage begins immediately upon admission and registration with the Oregon State Bar. Once your Oregon bar number has been assigned you will recieve a notice form the PLF showing the prorated assessment owing for the remainder of the calendar year. You will be assigned a default date (due date) for the statement based on your date of admission. If you are not engaged in the private practice of law in Oregon, you may be eligible to declare an exemption from coverage. More details on exempt activities and categories are availabe at

3. How do I change to inactive status?
You must fill out the form "Request for enrollment to become an inactive member." You have 60 days from the date of admission to pay your dues or change your status to inactive. The dues for inactive status are $125.00.

4. What is the difference between a committee and a section?
The OSB has 20 committees that advise, study and recommend matters within their jurisdiction to the board of governors in its oversight and policy-making roles for the bar. Committees are the vehicles that provide for group analysis, creativity, and reasoned recommendations. Committees have no budget. The board of governors appoints committee members. Names are compiled from the members who volunteer during the bar's annual recruitment campaign. For more information visit the Volunteer Opportunities page on the bar's website.

There are 42 sections that members may join for a fee (different from a committee where members are appointed by the board of governors). Sections are intended to provide bar members who share particular interests an opportunity to develop and improve skills and to provide a forum for communication and action in matters of common interest. Sections have budgets, produce newsletters, sponsor CLE's and take positions on legislation and law improvement issues.

5. What address should I list with the bar?
Rules of Procedure BR 1.11 requires all attorneys to designate a current business address and telephone number, or in the absence thereof, a current residence address and telephone number. A post office address designation must be accompanied by a street address.

6. How do I change my address with the bar?
Change your address and contact information online in the member login area at www. You can also email changes to or mail/fax the address change form which is available online in the forms library.


If you have any questions which this FAQ has not answered, please call us at (503) 620-0222, or send an email to