Oregon State Bar Bulletin MAY 2014
When built in 1914, the new Oregon Supreme Court building also housed the state of Oregon law library, the attorney general's office and the state's printing plant, as well as the court. Today the law library, which in 2002 celebrated the completion of a multi-year renovation, draws multitudes to the second floor. The Oregon Supreme Court and the Oregon Court of Appeals share the third-floor courtroom that is beloved for its signature stained-glass ceiling, yellow silk wallpaper and intimate atmosphere. The venerable building has generated an array of memories — mostly fond, but a few fearful — for people who have worked there in one capacity or another, as Melody Finnemore reports.