Oregon State Bar Bulletin — JUNE 2002

In Memoriam

Retired Portland lawyer Jesse F. Webb died Oct. 17, 2001. He was 82.

Webb was born Feb. 26, 1919 in Portland, was orphaned at an early age and was raised in the St. Mary's Boys Home in Beaverton. After graduating as valedictorian at St. Mary's, he studied philosophy and business at Gonzaga University in Spokane. After service in the Navy during World War II, he earned a law degree from the Northwestern School of Law and in 1948 joined the OSB. He worked for the firm Reeves, Reeves and Web, and then left to begin a multispecialty private practice. He retired in 1991. During his career, he was active in the Multnomah Bar Association and the American Trial Lawyers, among many other groups. In 1998, he celebrated 50 years of membership in the OSB, and he was also a member of 'D&T Railroad,' a social group of lawyers and others. He was also active in local Babe Ruth baseball and pro bono legal activities.

Survivors include his wife, Rozalind, and four children, including OSB member Jere Webb of Portland.

• • • • •

Former OSB president John J. Haugh died of a heart attack April 1, 2002, in Rugby, England, while on vacation. He was 60.

Haugh was born Nov. 29, 1941, in Lebanon, Mo. He earned his law degree in 1966 from the University of Notre Dame and after admission to the bar started as a clerk to U.S. District Court Judge John F. Kilkenny in Portland. Though he had intended to return to the Midwest, Haugh fell in love with the Pacific Northwest and never left.

His involvement in the legal community was extensive. He was president of the Multnomah Bar Association in 1977-78, president of the Oregon State Bar in 1982-83, and president of the Western States Bar Association, an association of bar leaders in 14 western states, in 1987-88. He was also president of the Oregon Law Foundation in 1985-86, and served on numerous committees of the Multnomah and Oregon bars and the Federal Judicial Selection Committee.

Haugh was author of numerous legal articles and a frequent CLE speaker. He was also an adjunct professor at Northwestern School of Law and was active in the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law and other pro bono activities. He also served on various community boards and other activities, far too numerous to count, but among them the Oregon Environmental Council, the Oregon Attorney Assistance Program and the Notre Dame Club of Oregon. Haugh had many interests, including protection of the environment, Monopoly tournaments, history, genealogy, fishing, coin collecting, a failed attempt at golfing and duplicate bridge. He was also an inveterate practical jokester, and was well known for his capacity to challenge, irritate, bewilder and sometimes amaze his friends.

There are many John Haugh stories. Here's just one: In 1963, Haugh was a summer White House intern under President Kennedy. In his spare time, he volunteered as a U.S. park ranger, which led to his being a volunteer organizer for the historic March on Washington in 1964. On the day of the civil rights march, he donned his park ranger outfit and improbably found his way to the podium, where he stood a few feet away from the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. as King delivered his famous 'I Have a Dream' speech. Haugh also remembered that as a child of 6, he had shaken hands with a veteran of the Civil War. As a young soldier, that veteran had been injured and shook hands with President Lincoln when Lincoln visited battle-wounded. Haugh remained amazed all his life to have shaken the hand which shook Lincoln's hand, and to have also seen and heard, and to have shaken the hand of King at the time of the latter's historic and stirring call for equality, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Haugh is survived by three daughters and one son.

• • • • •

Former OSB president, bar leader and Milton-Freewater community leader John T. (J.T.) Monahan died April 5, 2002. He was 82.

Monahan was born July 25, 1919 in Denver, Colo. and was raised in Milton--Freewater. After service in the Army during World War II, he earned a law degree from Willamette University and returned to Milton-Freewater to open a law practice. He practiced solo for 15 years and then was joined by John Grove. In 1981 Sam Tucker joined the firm and it became known as Monahan, Grove & Tucker.

Monahan was deeply involved in community affairs. He was a leader in the consolidation of Milton and Freewater, served on the committee which rewrote the city charter, was active in the city being selected as an All American City, and was a leading negotiator for Milton-Freewater when it acquired its utility system and entered into contracts to purchase power from the Grand County PUD. He was instrumental in the establishment of the -Milton--Freewater Area Foundation and in its acquisition of the Earl and Lela Frazier Museum property. He served also on the board of St. Mary Medical Center for 15 years and as president when the new hospital was completed. He was twice honored by the local chamber of commerce, with the Junior and Senior Citizen Awards.

Monahan was equally active in bar activities. In 1961-62, he was president of the Oregon State Bar.. He served on several other law-related boards and committees and was a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, the Oregon Law Foundation.
Survivors include his wife, Mollie, a daughter and a son.

• • • • •

Retired Portland lawyer Frank W. Mowry died March 25, 2002 at the age of 75.
He was born July 20, 19267 in Longmont, Colo., and served in the Navy during World War II. He was a graduate of the Northwestern School of Law and practiced in Portland from 1962 until retiring in 1983. He moved to Woodburn in 1991. During his life, he enjoyed a reputation as a championship golfer.
Survivors include his wife, Ardis, and five children.

• • • • •


return to top
return to Table of Contents