Oregon State Bar Job Opportunities
Assistant General Counsel and Client Assistance Office Attorney
The Oregon State Bar (OSB) regulates the practice of law in Oregon and provides a variety of services to its members and the public. We are looking for someone to join our dedicated team and provide initial response and disposition to all inquiries and complaints concerning the conduct of attorneys.
Responsibilities include the following.
- Receives and reviews inquiries and complaints concerning the conduct of attorneys. Analyzes facts and legal issues to determine whether misconduct may have occurred and exercises discretion to dismiss matters or refer for further investigation.
- To the extent possible and as resources permit, assists clients and lawyers to resolve issues not involving misconduct.
- Manages a high volume case load.
- Issues written opinions regarding inquiries and complaints.
- Responds to telephone contacts from the public.
- Serves as back-up to provide telephone ethics assistance to members as needed.
- Assists in development of long- and short-range plans, policies, and procedures for the Client Assistance Office (CAO).
- Provides input on the evaluation of support staff.
- Responsible for coordination or oversight of specific program functions as assigned.
- Assists with CAO staff training.
- Speaks and writes on ethics issues for continuing legal education (CLE) programs and Oregon State Bar (OSB) publications.
Candidates may have any satisfactory equivalent combination of the following experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work
- Graduation from an accredited law school. Admission to the practice of law in Oregon.
- Four years of legal experience, preferably in a government or private practice involving litigation.
- Experience managing a heavy caseload.
- Knowledge of legal ethics rules and principles. Experience in resolving legal ethics issues helpful.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite in a Microsoft Windows environment with particular emphasis on Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access or other database programs. Ability to type 40 WPM with accuracy.
- Excellent skills in legal analysis, legal research, and writing.
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills.
- Strong self-motivation skills requiring minimal supervision.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills before large and small groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills with strong ability to listen, use tact, and resolve conflict through informal telephone mediation.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment both efficiently and courteously.
- Ability to work with various groups or individuals with conflicting demands.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise professional demeanor and a high level of customer service for a potentially demanding customer base in a variety of situations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in keeping with the policies and objectives of CAO and the OSB.
- Commitment to the concept of teamwork and cross-responsibility within a department.
- Ability to communicate in person, in writing, by e-mail, and by telephone.
- Ability to operate a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to manipulate data for program purposes and typing.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and computer peripherals.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position and maintain focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to maintain focus and perform work requiring concentrated effort for long periods of time.
- Ability to remain on the telephone for long periods of time.
- Ability to make presentations before large and small groups of people.
- Ability to work in a moderately noisy, open environment.
- Ability to travel overnight, inside and outside Oregon, to meetings and seminars.
Salary: $6,554 per month minimum, depending on experience. The OSB offers excellent benefits including voluntary 6% participation in the PERS program.
Send resume with a cover letter to our mailing address
(please note: building location directions here):
Director of Human Resources
Oregon State Bar
P.O. Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
Fax to 503-598-6985 or email to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer