Oregon State Bar Job Opportunities
Assistant Disciplinary Counsel - Litigation
We are looking for someone to provide counsel to the Bar in the evaluation, investigation, and, where appropriate, litigation through trial and appeal of ethics complaints made against Oregon lawyers.
What you will do:
- Review and evaluate disciplinary investigations, seek authority for and pursue formal proceedings, pursue negotiated resolutions where appropriate, and recommend appropriate outcomes to the State Professional Responsibility Board (SPRB).
- Gather documents, interview witnesses, conduct legal research, and analyze facts and law.
- Represent the bar in formal disciplinary proceedings authorized by rule and/or the SPRB through trial or settlement and, when required, on appeal before the Supreme Court.
- Maintain a high-volume caseload in a timely and professional manner, work independently or in consultation with others on staff as needed.
- Provide input to Disciplinary Counsel on matters of policy, rulemaking, budget, and office organization.
- Model behavior that values diversity and incorporates inclusive and culturally competent practices.
- Serve as a public speaker in CLE seminars or other forums dealing with discipline and legal ethics.
You may have any satisfactory equivalent combination of the following experience & training that ensures your ability to perform the work.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university and an accredited law school. Active membership in the OSB.
- Five years of law practice with emphasis on civil litigation and/or appellate work. First chair civil litigation trial experience preferred.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite in a Microsoft Windows environment with particular emphasis on Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to become familiar with OSB-specific programs and software.
- Demonstrated skills in legal analysis, legal research, and writing.
- Demonstrated high-quality written and oral communication skills.
- Presentation and public speaking skills before a range of groups.
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills with demonstrated ability to listen to understand and manage difficult conversations.
- Ability to travel overnight, inside and outside Oregon, for meetings, seminars, trials, and investigative purposes. This includes approximately 5 – 12 trips for depositions and trial work throughout Oregon and one SPRB meeting each year outside Portland. All travel is scheduled well in advance of the event and with notice.
For this position, the salary is $8,583 per month. The OSB offers excellent benefits including voluntary 6% participation in the PERS program.
Send resume with a cover letter to our mailing address
(please note: building location directions here):
Director of Human Resources
Oregon State Bar
P.O. Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
Fax to (503) 598-6985 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer