2013 Law Improvement Proposals
The Public Affairs Committee received input from bar members regarding legislative proposals submitted by OSB groups at the Legislative Comment Forum and welcome you to review the proposals at the link above.
The OSB Legislative Guideline Overview
The board has determined that the use of bar dues to participate in shaping legislation that involves the regulation of the legal profession and matters concerning the quality of legal services available to the people of Oregon is germane to the bar's role and is in the public interest.
Oregon State Bar legislative or policy activities shall be limited to those reasonably related to any of the following subjects:
- The regulation and discipline of lawyers;
- The improvement of the functioning of the courts including issues of judicial independence, fairness, efficacy and efficiency;
- The availability of legal services to society;
- The regulation of lawyer trust accounts;
- The education, ethics, competence, integrity and regulation of the legal profession; or
- The provision of law improvement assistance to elected and appointed government officials;
- Issues involving the structure and organization of federal, state and local courts in or affecting Oregon;
- Issues involving the rules of practice, procedure and evidence in federal, state or local courts in or affecting Oregon; and
- Issues involving the duties and functions of judges and lawyers in federal, state, and local courts in or affecting Oregon.
Task Force Reports
OSB/OJD Task Force on Oregon eCourt Implementation
Oregon State Bar Section of Family Law Parenting Plan Work Group
The Public Affairs Department works to apply the knowledge and experience of the legal profession to the public good by advising governmental bodies, proposing legislation for law improvement, and advocating on matters that affect the legal profession.
The Public Affairs Program: provides legal expertise and assistance to lawmakers;
informs bar leaders, members and government bodies on bar related legislation and public policy issues;
assists bar groups with law improvement projects; and
influences major issues affecting the legal profession and justice system.
OSB Legislative Proposals/Session Results
What is the Keller Rule?
Keller does not prohibit integrated bars from using member dues to advance political or ideological positions that are not germane to the bars purpose; however, it requires that dissenting members receive a refund of the portion of dues attributable to the non-germane activity.
Public Affairs Committee
The Public Affairs Committee of the Board of Governors oversees the work of the program, and makes recommendation to the Board of Governors on public policy issues.
Public Affairs Committee ProcessThe Board or its Public Affairs Committee sets priorities regarding legislation or positions on legislation. In so doing, the Board will make a reasonable effort to do the following:
- Encourage as wide a participation of the membership as possible
- in formulating positions on legislative issues;
- Inform members of the Bars legislative positions;
- Respect divergent opinions of subgroups within the legal profession;
- Provide assistance to bar sections and committees; avoid
- committing bar funds to issues that are divisive or create factions
- within the profession;
- Present major issues to the House of Delegates for approval.
2013 Public Affairs Committee Members
Oregon State Bar Public Affairs Staff
or toll-free in Oregon: (800) 452-8260
Fax: (503) 684-1366
Staff:Susan Evans Grabe, Director
David Nebel, Legislative Attorney
Matt Shields, Staff Attorney
Amanda Lunsford, Public Affairs Assistant
OSB Section and Committee Legislative Contacts
Elected Officials with Legal Training
All OSB Staff Contacts
How To Get Involved
Tips for Communicating with Your Legislator
Tips for Lobbying and Getting Prepared
OSB Guidelines for Section & Committee Involvement
OSB Legislative Policy Guideline
State of Oregon
Contact Information for Senators
Contact Information for Representatives
Oregon Secretary of State Elections Division
State initiative and general state election informationhttp://www.oregonvotes.org/
Project Vote Smart
Non-partisan information on local and national candidates and officials, and other political issueshttp://www.vote-smart.org
The United States Congress
House Judiciary Committee
Senate Judiciary Committee