Oregon State Bar Job Opportunities
Referral and Information Services Assistant
The Oregon State Bar (OSB) regulates the practice of law in Oregon and provides a variety of services to its members and the public. We are looking for someone to join our dedicated team and respond to requests for legal information and assistance from attorneys and members of the public.
Responsibilities include the following.
- Provide professional customer service while conducting confidential and sensitive telephone interviews with members of the public needing the assistance of an attorney or a community resource in Oregon.
- Use custom entry-and-retrieval database program to perform attorney referrals according to geographic location and area of law needed.
- Perform clerical and secretarial work necessary to support the referral programs.
- Handle referral requests from members of the public requesting legal assistance via e-mail, telephone, in person, and in writing.
- Exhibit professional customer service while assisting attorneys with program registrations, profile changes, and Lawyer-to-Lawyer referrals.
- Screen Modest Means applications for client eligibility based on income and case type.
- Perform additional clerical and support work for the Member and Public Services Department when needed.
Candidates may have any satisfactory equivalent combination of the following experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work:
- Graduation from high school or an equivalent GED certificate.
- At least one year of college, business, or secretarial school desirable.
- Experience managing difficult people in person or over the telephone.
- Experience with office record-keeping and reporting systems, financial record-keeping systems, and administrative organization methods preferred.
- Experience with high-volume telephone work preferred.
- Experience with the justice system and social service networks serving the state preferred.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite in a Microsoft Windows environment with particular emphasis on Word and Excel. Experience with database programs preferred.
- Ability to type 40 WPM with accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to perform advanced database operations.
- Ability to use independent judgment in determining an appropriate course of action for a referral.
- Ability to exercise professional demeanor and a high level of customer service for a potentially demanding customer base.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in keeping with the policies and objectives of the Referral and Information Services Department and the Oregon State Bar.
- Commitment to the concept of teamwork and cross-responsibility within a department.
- Ability to communicate in person, in writing, by e-mail, and by telephone.
- Ability to operate a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to manipulate data for program purposes and typing.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and computer peripherals.
- Ability to position self for purposes of filing.
- Ability to remain on the telephone, sitting, and working with a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work in a moderately noisy, open environment.
Salary range starts at $15.64 per hour for 4 hours per day Monday through Friday. The OSB offers excellent benefits including voluntary 6% participation in the PERS program.
We will continue to accept submissions as long as the job opening remains posted.
Send resume with a cover letter to our mailing address
(please note: building location directions here):
Director of Human Resources
Oregon State Bar
P.O. Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
Fax to 503-598-6985 or e-mail to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer