Oregon State Bar Job Opportunities
Referral and Information Services Assistant - Bilingual - Spanish and English
The Oregon State Bar (OSB) regulates the practice of law in Oregon and provides a variety of services to its members and the public. We are looking for someone to join our dedicated team and respond to requests for legal information and assistance from attorneys and members of the English-speaking and Spanish-speaking public.
Responsibilities include the following.
- Provides professional customer service while conducting confidential and sensitive bilingual, Spanish and English, telephone interviews with members of the public needing the assistance of an attorney or a community resource in Oregon.
- Uses custom entry-and-retrieval database program to perform attorney referrals according to geographic location and area of law needed.
- Performs clerical and secretarial work necessary to support the referral programs.
- Handles referral requests from members of the public requesting legal assistance via e-mail, telephone, in person, and in writing.
- Exhibits professional customer service while assisting attorneys with program registrations, profile changes, and Lawyer to Lawyer referrals.
- Screens Modest Means applications for client eligibility based on income and case type.
- Performs additional clerical and support work for the Member and Public Services Department when needed.
Candidates may have any satisfactory equivalent combination of the following experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work:
- Graduation from high school or an equivalent GED certificate.
- At least one year of college, business, or secretarial school desirable.
- Ability to fluently speak, write, and read Spanish and English.
- Experience managing difficult people in person or over the telephone.
- Experience with office record-keeping and reporting systems, financial record-keeping systems, and administrative organization methods preferred.
- Experience with high-volume telephone work preferred.
- Experience with the justice system and social service networks serving the state preferred.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite in a Microsoft Windows environment with particular emphasis on Word and Excel. Experience with database programs preferred. Ability to perform advanced database operations.
- Ability to type 40 WPM with accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to use independent judgment in determining an appropriate course of action for a referral and sound judgment in keeping with the policies and objectives of the Referral and Information Services Department and the Oregon State Bar.
- Ability to exercise professional demeanor and a high level of customer service for a potentially demanding customer base.
- Commitment to the concept of teamwork and cross-responsibility within a department.
- Ability to communicate in person, in writing, by e-mail, and by telephone.
- Ability to manipulate data for program purposes and typing. Ability to position self for purposes of filing.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and computer peripherals.
- Ability to remain on the telephone, sitting, and working with a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work in a moderately noisy, open environment.
Salary range starts at $16.43 per hour plus $.80 per hour additional bilingual skills premium. The OSB offers excellent benefits including voluntary 6% participation in the PERS program.
Send resume with a cover letter to our mailing address
(please note: building location directions here):
Director of Human Resources
Oregon State Bar
P.O. Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
Fax to 503-598-6985 or email to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer